Sunday, October 26, 2008

Two Little Birds

Jon wrote this poem a few months ago and has recently been making it into an animation. I thought the poem was especially insightful given all the changes in the world lately and the important decisions we are all having to make. This picture is part of the animation.

Here is the poem:

Two little birds sittin on a wire
watching the world as it burns, on fire.
Fire of greed and fire of lust, Fire
of hate, of contempt, and distrust.

One little bird leans to the other,
"Excuse me my friend..."

"What is it my brother?"

"I was just thinking, how odd it does seem,
how all of these people just hate and are mean.
Why so much quarrel, why go to war?
Why the disdain and mistreatment of poor?
I sit here and watch from my perch on this wire,
the world of mankind whose outlook seems dire."

"Perhaps there's the issue."

The bird was cut short.

"If you don't mind to hear it I have a retort!
As long as we sit here up on this high wire
our comments do nothing to put out this fire.

What's happened to virtue, what's sacred and true?
It's inside us my brother, inside me and you.
The going and doing is like rain to this blaze,
commenting is useless, it just thickens the haze.

So let's up and at 'em! Let's do what we can.
In actions not words, lies the future of man."


I have been really impressed with all the effort that people have been putting into important issues that are up in the air right now. We can each make a difference, even if our efforts seem small. I think this poem can be applied to every aspect of life. It has really gotten me thinking about what I am doing to make a difference in this world. I am really going to try to complain less and do more. The future really is in our hands, so let's all do everything we can to make it the best we can.

5 comments:

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

Love the poem. Love the message. Love the animation! Super cool! And I love that it got me thinking too! I wish that more would get a chance to see it. Will they with the animation?

Nicia said...

Holy cow! That is some serious talent, and what great insight! Thank you for sharing. I'm on my way to call our Prop 8 leader to find out how I can help send out flyers Saturday, right now!

Mike Hiatt said...

WOW. That was very profound. It brought a tear to my eye and a commitment to my heart to do my part to make the world a better place. Thanks for sharing. Can I share the poem with others?
Dad

Karen said...

Awesome poem...I am so glad that our tomorrows are in the hands of people like you. Thank you!

Kathy Whittle said...

Thank you for sharing Jon's poem. It was beautiful.He is so talented!