Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a Day

Yesterday was a long, fun, tiring day and when it was over I was SO glad to go to bed. Matthew had a really rough night the night before and was up every 1/2 hour to hour. So we were up every 1/2 to hour. And I was tired when he decided to get up for the day at 6:30. We already had plans to go to the Exploratorium with some people in our ward since it was free day and I decided to go ahead and go, hoping it would wear the kids out.

I had never been to the Exploratorium before, but it is so cool. It's a huge science type museum but there were enough things that Emma could do that she had a blast.

They had a kids play area that we stayed in for quite awhile.

I thought this chair was cool. Emma was not impressed.

Matthew had fun...until he fell off. Yeah...really bad parenting moment. He did great when we took this picture and then we took him off. I put him back on to get a picture with Emma and in the split second that I was making sure she was up he turned to pull himself up and fell. Luckily he didn't get hurt. He was just really scared.

Emma loved making bubbles

And the sand was a big hit too. There are holes in the platform so she loved watching the sand fall through the holes.
All in all it was a fun time and when we left the kids were exhausted. Unfortunately they only slept in the car on the way home and that was it for the day.

At one point during the afternoon I was feeling exhausted and was trying to get a very tired Matthew to take a nap so I could lay down. I finally started crying and Emma ran up and asked what was wrong. I told her I was tired and needed to take a nap. She replied, "No Mommy, you don't need a nap. You just need to be happy!" It was a little bit of a slap in the face because I knew she was right. I can't always change the situations I'm in, but I can change my attitude. I've really been trying to work on that lately, so this was a good reminder.

After that Matthew finally took a little nap and Emma and I made some spaghetti for dinner. I realized after the meat and noodles were cooked that I only had about 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce. I didn't have any tomato paste, tomato sauce, or even tomatoes to do homemade sauce, so we improvised. Did you know that tomato soup works really well as spaghetti sauce?

Anyway, I'm feeling much better today. Matthew did a lot better last night and we are trying to have a good happy day. I even got Emma to sit on her toilet and she went in it. So, that was exciting. I am at a total loss with potty training. We really feel like Emma's ready. She knows the drill, she tells us almost every time she goes to the bathroom and she wants us to change her diaper every time. She just really doesn't want to go to the bathroom on the toilet or wear underwear. And this is where I don't know what to do. Should I have her start trying anyway? Just let the diapers run out so there is no other option? What has worked for you all? I would love some ideas!

6 comments:

Holly R said...

I hope you get some rest. Your day sounds like mine everyday. Two kids make life crazy. Or maybe life is just crazy no matter what.

Rachel Holloway said...

I am sorry you had a rough day! I had no idea...and I feel dumb because of it.

Potty training is weird for us right now too...we think Kaden is ready, but we don't seem to make good enough progress on a consistent basis.

Hmmm...if only we knew everything all at once.

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

Wow. What a day and a night. I would have cried too. A really tired mommy has fragile emotions. I know that one for sure. As for the potty training we tried to train James before he was ready and we pushed and pushed until we gave up. At playgroup one day I was lamenting and another mom said that even though it may be hard for the pride of the parents it is just best to let them decide. Especially if it becomes a power struggle because they are the only ones that know when they have to go so they will always win that one. So we waited and when he was ready he was ready and it was a piece of cake to train him because he was ready for the underwear, being clean, and using the potty. Everything. So I guess my advice is to just be patient. There will come a time that it will all fall into place.

Melinda said...

I love that chair! What a fantastic place to take your kids! (reminds me that I want to get to our children's museum soon, too) Sorry about Matthew's night schedule...we've been through that recently and are SO grateful that Lizzie has slept all through the night, in her own bed, three nights this week! Hope you get your own reprieve, soon!

Kathy Whittle said...

The exploratorium looks like so much fun! (loved the chair) Wish we had one here. It's such a bummer when a mom doesn't get the sleep she needs. Glad it was only one night. Ditto on Lisa's comments about potty training. For me it did work better to do it in the summer when I could let them run around in just the undies - and for my 3 older kids, when they were ready, it only took about a week. I don't know that there's any magic way to know if your child is ready. But there are some great books at the libaray that will help get Emma excited about wearing the underwear and being a big girl.

Karen said...

I would be no help in the potty training department...rely on the young moms...it was sooo long ago for me. I really like Lisa's advise though.

Bummer about short nights that are divided up into little naps. I appreciate Emma's little reminder...what a sweetheart:)