Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Little Bit From The Last Week

It has been a really eventful few days for us here. Some fun, some not so much. So here goes...

Friday a friend invited us to go to the San Jose Children's Museum with her and her kids. It was SO fun. It is about 45 minutes away though. I really wish it were a little closer and we could go more often, but we will definitely go back there again. We only saw 3 or 4 different rooms and there was so much more that we missed.

This was part of the water room. We stayed in here forever and left soaking wet. Lots of fun.

They had all these huge soft blocks that you could put in their hole in the wall or build with or anything else you could think of. We stayed in here for quite awhile too.

Reading books
This really was fun. I can't wait to go back again.

Saturday Jon had to work so the kids and I went to his parents house. We were planning on staying the weekend there so I figured we might as well spend the day there with them than stay home alone. It had been a long week and I was tired. It was really hot that day so Jon's dad got the hose out and let the girls run through the water. Emma loved it.

Saturday night Jon and I went to dinner and then he went and saw The Dark Knight with his brother and sister.

Sunday all of Jon's family was there for dinner. We were enjoying the evening and getting to visit with everyone. At one point Emma went out in the backyard and started playing with their dog. She is a big dog (a husky) but has always been good with Emma. Anyway, Emma pulled the dog's tail and the dog bit her face right above and below her eye. It is in moments like these that I feel like such a bad mom. Aside from the fact that I wasn't outside with her like I should have been, I just went into panic mode when Jon's mom brought her in. There was a lot of blood and I just kind of froze. I really didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything. I really hope nothing ever happens to my kids when I'm alone with them...wish me luck on that. :) So, Jon, his mom, and I took Emma to the ER. We spent about 2 hours there and all they did was clean it, give us some little bandage strips, and tell us to keep her out of the sun so it doesn't scar. We really were lucky. The bite wasn't very deep and the dog missed her eye. Emma was back to her normal self before we left the hospital.


Monday I started babysitting Jon's little sisters. His mom is at girls camp all week so they are hanging out with us. We spent Monday at their house. Monday night we all went to this lake near their house. It was so fun. Emma was fearless and ran right in. It was shallow enough that she could walk quite a ways out, so she had a blast.




Tuesday was kind of a long day. The movie theater has free movies every week so we went and saw Pipi Longstocking. We went stocked with snacks, drinks, and distractions, but it wasn't enough. Emma was up and down the whole time. Matthew was fussy most of the time too and it ended up being really stressful, though the girls enjoyed the movie. When the movie FINALLY ended we headed home, stopping at In-N-Out for some lunch on the way. We managed to fill the rest of the afternoon, but it wasn't much better than the morning. I was so excited to see Jon walk through the door a little earlier than usual. He even brought each of us a candy bar. So nice!

Today I was determined to go out and have fun. It was free day at the zoo so we went in the afternoon. We went last month and had a lot of fun. But this time, there were SO many people that we really didn't see much in the way of animals. I didn't even get any pictures because there were just too many people. The crowds were moving slowly and I have no sense of direction so we didn't know where we were going most of the time. We left as soon as we found the exit and headed to the candy store, since candy makes everything better. It was an okay rest of the day. We didn't do much and Matthew screamed all night...not sure why but it really got me stressed out. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and making it a great day.


8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, poor Emma! I think I'm the freeze kind of Mom too. Once Zaylee threw up while we were at Mom's house. I froze and Mom had to tell me what to do to clean it up and comfort Zaylee. It was pretty bad. I can't imagine how I would react to see my little girl covered in blood from a dog bite! I hope she heals up okay and that all is well with her. She looks like she's okay now, nice and cheerful.

The Children's Museum looks so neat! I wonder if we have anything like that here, but I kind of doubt it. I hope you're able to get back and explore other rooms. Looks so fun!

Rachel Holloway said...

Sarah--don't worry about freezing...you could have been FREAKING, which is my reaction to things like blood, siezures, and excessive crying. I have made a fool of myself many a time! :)

I am so glad you had a good time at the museum. Hopefully it will get easier as Matthew gets a little older and isn't so dependant. :) jk!

I think all these events are BRIGHT NEON ARROWS pointing to you needing a visit to me so I can take over and let you have a little break. And we can eat all the candy you want... :) Oatmeal cookie ice cream works wonders too!

I miss you so much...

Nicia said...

I'm sorry about Emma! I'm glad the dog didn't get her eye. Did you that happened to my brother Andrew when he was little? But the dog actually got his eye. I guess his eye was like hanging there..pretty gross I know! But I guess they had a really good surgeon, because you wouldn't even know it looking at him. So, don't even feel like a bad mom. I agree with Rachel...at least you aren't like me and freak out, making the worse by freaking the kid out too! All in all though, it looks like you had a ton of fun!! Cute pictures!

Melinda said...

What a lot of fun and lots of things done! I'm sure it was a whirlwind week, with the extra girls, the visits all over and everything, but you sound like you really enjoyed it, so yeah!

Michelle said...

Wow, what a week! Glad Emma turned out okay. I am not sure why I don't freak out when my kids get bloodied up... maybe it comes from having 3 boys? They like to throw up or massively blow out all over the cart at the store, or hit heads on the bed and need stitches, or cut the webbing of their fingers with extremely sharp sewing siscors (sp?) and I do just fine. But a dog bite like that would have thrown me threw a bit of a loop. Lucky us we live right by the hospital, and it literally a 2 minute drive to the ER, with parking included. You'll get better at handling stuff. It is suprising how calm and collected you can be when you are by yourself and you have to deal with it. Just breathing for a sec before tackling the situation works wonders. (Maybe that's how I am able to handle that kind of thing?)

Keeping it bandaged with neosporin will also help avoid a scar, keeping the tissue soft and preventing infection. And if it does for some reason, they have a children's Mederma that I have used on mine. It works fairly well.

Unknown said...

Wow, that does sound like an exhausting week! But eventful- and those are the ones you remember!

I'm really glad the dog didn't get her eye too! I wouldn't worry about your reaction there. I'm sure it was just gut reaction to let the experienced mom take charge. I'm sure I would have done the same thing.

That's a bummer the children's museum is so far! It looks like a lot of fun. I'm so spoiled- ours is just five minutes down the road. SO nice for super humid hot summer days when you just need to get out!

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

The museum looks so cool. It looks like so much fun.

MAF said...

Sweet battle scars Emma!