Monday, March 24, 2008

Bye Bye Bottle

That's right! The bottle days are over. We won't have any more pictures like these...




Although they made for some pretty funny pictures, we are so happy to see the bottles go. And it was surprisingly easy. Emma had fallen asleep in the car without a bottle for 2 naptimes and a bedtime in a row, so I figured it was just as good a time as any to try to get rid of them. So we hid them and every time she asked for one, I told her they were all gone and offered her something else. She would say okay and it was no big deal. We did kind of take the easy way out though. The day I took the bottle away she found some binkies in the baby stuff I had been going through and now she takes a binkie to bed instead. But I am still so happy. A binkie is a huge step up from a bottle and if all she wants is something to suck on, I would much rather have her sucking on a binkie than her thumb. It just seems like it's harder for kids to kick the thumb sucking habit. Anyways, I am so happy with this little bit of progress and SO happy to finally say good bye to those bottles.

6 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

THAT IS TOTALLY CHEAP! I just can't say the bottles are gone because SPENCER uses one. And Kaden has been known to take Spencers bottle and drink FORMULA because he wanted the bottle so bad.

Jealous...totally jealous of you...(except that you are pregnant) For that, I am just EXCITED for you!

Congrats on the big step!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on getting rid of the bottle! Those pictures of Emma with her bottles are pretty cute (I love the one where she's poking herself in the eye!), but it is such a nice feeling to know that she doesn't need it anymore. And the binky will be much easier to get rid of later than thumb-sucking would be. My brother used to suck his thumb, and it took him a LONG time to kick that habit.

Melinda said...

Congratulations! Evie's been off bottles for a while, but I'd love to get her so she's not taking a sippy to bed, either. It'll come, though. Cute pictures!

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

Thats great Sarah I wish I could be more excited but since I have really never had to try to get a kid off a bottle I wouldn't know.

Esther said...

Yeah for moving on. There are some of my students that still have bottles (and most of them are over 3). Sometimes I wish their parents tried to get them off of a bottle sooner.

Kathy Whittle said...

Great progress and cute pictures with the bottles. You'll definitely be glad that Emma has a binky you can just "lose" some day, and not a thumb. Emily still sucks her thumb - even more now - and she's almost 6.