Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mormon Helping Hands

Each year, our church participates in a statewide service project called Mormon Helping Hands. We've been able to help every year for the last 3 years and it has been so much fun....a lot of work, but still fun. The first year, we worked in Golden Gate Park, doing a lot of weeding...lots and lots of weeding! Last year we cleaned up the trail that runs along the bay. This year, we all met at the Military Cemetery in the Presidio to clean the headstones and paint the chapel. Jon was immediately put to work painting so I took all 3 kids and set to work scrubbing.

The kids were less than thrilled to spend the morning cleaning (I don't think they even heard WHAT we were cleaning...the protesting started as soon as they heard the word "clean" :)  ). As soon as we started though, they really got into it and had a lot of fun. They really worked hard the first 2 hours, but by the end they were done....and admittedly I was kind of done too!

I'm so glad we were able to help with this service and more than anything, that we were able to give our kids an opportunity to serve. It's definitely something I want to do more often as a family and I hope that they come to find the joy in serving others.

All ready to start


Emma really enjoyed reading the names on the stones as she cleaned


 "Mom FINALLY let me out of the stroller!"




No comments: