Sunday, December 14, 2008

Some Random Tidbits

Just a few random things that I've noticed or thought about lately.

*Emma has become quite the packrat(for lack of a better word) lately and it is so funny to me. Every time she goes to take a nap or go to bed, she carries a stack of about 20 books with her. They have to sit in a certain spot on her bed with her 2 pillows, 3 large stuffed animals, and about 10 blankets. Throughout week she also added the tv remote, an envelope, and an order summary form to the pile.

*I am TIRED!!! Matthew has been waking up 4-6 times a night and Emma must have decided that she's missing out. She woke up 3 times last night (all right before or after Matthew) and was hysterical. I'm hoping this was a one time deal and not the beginning of nightmares.

*Winter has come and brought lots of rain with it. After only 2 days of rain, we are really starting to feel cooped up. We have watched more movies than I care to admit, and read a million books. My creative juices aren't flowing so I need some ideas. What do you all do during the long rainy (or snowy) days? I'm desperate for ideas of things to do at home on those days that I don't have the car or just don't feel like braving the weather.

*I can't believe Christmas is so soon. I was talking to someone on Monday and said something about how I can't keep track of time anymore and that I keep thinking Christmas is next week. She looked a little confused and reminded me that it IS next week. Hmm...good thing we have all of our shopping done.

*I cut Emma's hair on Saturday. It was getting so scraggly (is that a real word?) and was just driving me crazy. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I just picked some hair and cut. It ended up being shorter than I had planned but I really like it. It is right above her shoulders. Will post pictures as soon as she lets me take one. :)

*I can't wait for Jon's week off next week. We have lots of fun stuff planned and are excited to spend some time with his family and with each other.

*Emma has started calling me Mr. Conductor (thank you Thomas the Train). All day I hear "Oh, thank you Mr. Conductor" when I do something for her. At least she's remembering to say thank you... She has also taken to calling Jon and I by our first names.

7 comments:

Esther said...

Why don't you have a car? That is a bummer. I like finding activities on line and making them. we have done that a lot with my friends kids. There are so many resources to make cute crafts from things you have around your house. Sometimes I go shopping to get out too. Maybe that wouldn't be an option for you.

Rachel Holloway said...

I am so sorry you are feeling cooped up already! It sure is tough getting through the winter. If only your basment were more play friendly!!!

I love the little tidbits. I haven't talked to you forever!! At least that is how it feels...so I miss hearing out on these things. Wait, I know we have TALKED...but it's been more you listening, me talking. Can't wait to chat again soon.

Stephanie said...

I hope you get more sleep! Thomas has been waking during the night again, and being tired is just no fun.

Anonymous said...

So many of your tidbits sound just like our house!
Madison likes to carry a large stack of books and a few animals to bed with her, too.
She occasionally wakes up screaming in the night, certain that someone is in her room.
Madison also occasionally calls Steve and I by our first names.
We have been cooped up in the house all week, too, and have spent some of the time working on various homemade Christmas gifts. Madison will also have a lot of fun helping me with some baking stuff today; I've got to get busy if I'm going to get gingerbread houses done at all!!

Michelle said...

My kids all start waking up a couple times a night, screaming, about 2 years old. It lasts until they are about 3. Although, William hasn't had the problem nearly as bad. Maybe his brothers just wear him out too well?

Karen said...

I love Emma's haircut...you did a great job!

Hmmm, activities, I like to make playdough, color (especially in boxes) make cookies, and read books.

Kathy Whittle said...

That's a bummer about Matthew waking up - it's no fun to feel exhausted and then have to take care of children all day. I liked the ideas already mentioned - the internet is GREAT for ideas of what to do with kids. I use it a lot. Have a picnic on your porch in the rain - your mom did that with my kids one time in PA, and they still remember it!
If you have old Christmas cards, you could help Emma make an ABC Christmas book. There's a page for each letter of the alphabet with a cute rythme to go with it. You help her find a card to paste on as the picture for the page. At her age, you'd have to do some of the work, but it's fun for the kids, and helps you talk about some of the symbols and beauty of Christmas. I like the link http://members.tripod.com/~amiani/ABCofChristmas.html I cut and paste each letter & saying into word, one letter & saying at the bottom of each page. Then help Emma find a card that goes with the letter, and paste it on the page. I know there are other links too. If you don't finish this year, just put it away and work on it the next year. Aunt Karen gave us this idea, and my children did it for years, and now Emily makes books. Hey, at least you don't have snow!