We were both doing really well with our training up until a couple weeks before the race. Everyone at our house got a nasty stomach bug and then we were traveling, and then Grandpa passed away and we were traveling again to Boise and were busy with the funeral and visiting all of the extended family that we could. We each managed to squeeze in a couple small runs, but those couple weeks off really made it more difficult. And on top of the lack of running, I also had to adjust to the elevation change....running at 4700 feet when you're used to running at sea level is HARD!
The day before the race, we convinced Abby to run with us. I'm so glad she did. It was a lot of fun! I loved all the energy at the beginning of the race...and it was amusing to see some of the things people wore. There were lots of red, white, and blue tutus, a guy with stars shaved into his head, and our favorite- a guy dressed as a penguin following his friend, who had a fishing pole taped to his back with a Twinkie on the end. There were also several families running together. It was so cute to see all the little kids running their hardest....and really, I don't think running that distance wore them out at all- I totally wish I had that kind of energy still! Jon and I decided that we are going to do a 5k as a family soon...I think it'd be so fun!
Mom, Abby, and I stayed together the whole race, so it took a little longer, but we kept up a good pace and didn't come in last. :) We ended up coming in right around 46 minutes. I'm so glad we could all share our first 5K experience together!
And just in case one 5k in a week wasn't enough, I decided a week in advance to do another 5k, 3 days after my first one. This time I ran it with Aunt Kathy, while we were down in Utah for a couple days. I knew I wasn't going to get any amazing time, considering my lack of practice and the elevation, but I wanted to see if I could improve over my first 5k.
I re-learned two things in this race- I can't eat before I run (I already knew this, but I ate anyway...and I paid for it!) and it is HARD to run at high elevations when you're not used to it. I was so lightheaded a mile into it and my stomach was cramping from eating so I ended up walking a lot of it. But I did it and I finished with a time of 37:56....not great, but an improvement. Despite the discomfort, I'm glad I was able to run again and that I could do this race with Aunt Kathy.
Kathy did awesome...she finished first in her age group!
After the race they had all sorts of fun stuff. The kids bounced in the bouncy houses and we also got to go on a short hot air balloon ride....so fun!
My favorite part of my 5k's was the end when Emma and Matthew came up to me and asked if I won my race. Not wanting to let them down, I replied that I won because I did it. :) Love my little cheerleaders!
2 comments:
Nice work!
So happy you got to participate in those! You have totally passed me up and I need to get on the ball! :)
You're amazing!!
Post a Comment