Sunday, May 15, 2011

Look Who's 3!

My baby (for another few weeks at least), my little boy turned the big 3 yesterday. It's hard to believe! We celebrated and partied and had a lot of fun.

Our first celebration was a combined birthday party for him and his friend Sophee with their friends from church. We went to Hop N Play, a really fun indoor play place, and let all the kids run and jump and swing and spin.







After everyone was done playing we gathered for cupcakes and presents. We all had a great time...it was so fun that Emma has been worried ever since that her birthday party will not be as fun as his.  :)




We wanted to do a small family party on Matthew's birthday- just dinner, cake, and a pinata. We decided to make the pinata this time. Emma had a lot of fun helping Jon layer newspaper on the balloons.

Matthew was much more interested in trying to blow up more balloons to play with.

After working on it for 5 nights, the pinata was finished. Not bad, huh? This was mostly Jon's work of art....if it had been left to me, I would have given up and just bought one! But it turned out great!
Matthew wanted a bug theme, so we headed to the candy store and he got to pick out some bug candy to put on his bug cake.

Friday night Jon and I (okay, mostly Jon) blew up enough balloons to fill the living room. The kids were so surprised when they woke up Saturday. They have had so much fun playing in their little balloon pit.


Jon's family came Saturday afternoon. We had a little barbecue and then opened presents. Matthew was pretty unenthusiastic while he opened everything (every picture I took, he has this really serious look on his face), but after everyone left, he gathered all of his presents and spent the rest of the night playing with them.


After presents, it was time for the pinata!

The kids took several good whacks at it, but it was a pretty solid pinata. Jon's sisters finally cracked it open.

 We passed out bags for the kids to put their candy in, but Matthew insisted that he needed to put his candy in the spider's head.  :)

Jon had to take a few last hits at it to completely finish it off.

Time for cake....yummy!
Happy birthday Buddy!

5 comments:

Esther said...

That looks like a really fun place to have a birthday. Maybe we will have to go when I come next. I love that Jon made a pinata for them. That is a good idea, but yes a lot of work. I can't believe he is 3. That means Hannah will be 3 in 3 months! Ahh. totally not ready for that to happen.

Jake & Lisa Danes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake & Lisa Danes said...

Your little guy is so darn cute! And that pinata was awesome. I would have felt bad hitting it! I would have just hung it for decoration in his room! Love it!

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Thanks again for the Hop N Play party! Both of my boys LOVED it! That's funny that Emma is worried hers won't be as much fun. And I have to say, with all the celebrating you did for Matthew's bday, I might be worried too if I were her! :)

Colin, Jamie and Presley Kent said...

That Pinata was amazing!!! Presley is still talking about Matthew and Sophee's birthday party! Thanks again for such a fun time!