Sunday, February 21, 2010

Some Thoughts

Just some random thoughts I've had floating around in my head today.

I ate an artichoke for the first time today. It was actually really good, but seemed like way too much work to eat very often. And it looks totally unappetizing. I had a hard time getting over how it looked.

Today was a really good day. We love our new ward (church) and feel like we are starting to remember names and faces and get into a routine there. We also love the fact that, like our last ward, church is always at 9 am. It never changes. And for someone with 2 kids who nap, this is the ultimate church time.

I have been SO tired lately...all the time. Moving, and the resulting late nights and early mornings trying to get everything done, have really worn me out. But we are starting to finally feel like we have made this house our home. We just need to get pictures hung and get rid of the last 3 or 4 miscellaneous boxes and then it will really feel like home.

We went through all of Jon's artwork and then bought frames for several of the pieces. We are going to hang them throughout the house. I am SO excited about this. I think it will be so fun to have his work hanging where we can see and enjoy it.

Our house. I LOVE it...quirks and all. We feel so blessed to be able to live in this house. We feel like it was the perfect one for us right now. We really feel like this is where we need to be.

Some of my favorite things about the house
- all the light. We have several windows and 4 skylights. I love the skylights.
-our mailbox. Our mail "box" is a slot on the front of our house. The mail comes right into a slot in my living room. I don't even have to leave my house to get my mail. How cool is that!?
-the fireplace. There's just something so cozy about a fireplace. We used it for the first time last night and it was just so fun. The kids were loving it. Matthew was so excited that there was fire and Emma kept begging to roast marshmallows in it. :) And with the fireplace comes the mantle. I can't wait to hang our stockings from it next Christmas.
-the carpets. I know some people love hardwood floors, but I hate them. A lot. And our last place wall all hardwood floors (except for the tile in the bathroom). So, I am really loving that we have carpet in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms. So much more comfortable.
-our driveway. Gone are the days of coming home and hoping someone didn't park in the one spot in front of our house. I love having a driveway.
-the backyard. The kids spend at least half of each day out there playing and digging and exploring. It is great!
-the space. Oh, I love having all this space. Some of our favorite "space" upgrades...
-Jon and I actually have a closet in our bedroom now! That's right, we no longer have to use the hall closet as our closet. And we actually have TWO closets in our room. Score!
-We can now open our bathroom door without it hitting the toilet. AND if that weren't cool enough, more than one person can fit in the bathroom at the same time. But my favorite bathroom upgrade is that we actually have a counter, cupboards, and drawers now. Pedestal sinks might look nice but they sure are impractical!
-all the storage space. Seriously, it is everywhere. Everything has a place and it is just so nice.
-our bedroom. Our bedroom space doubled with this move. We no longer have to have the bed pushed up against a wall, which means that Jon doesn't have to climb over me when he gets up at 6 waking me up in the process. So nice! And we have room for nightstands now. Exciting!

And enough about the house...

I wish I enjoyed exercising. I know I feel better when I do exercise, I just can't make myself do it. I need some sort of goal or motivation or something.

It has become very obvious that Matthew is left handed. How do two right handed parents get a left handed child?

I love my kids. Even when they're grumpy because they didn't take naps. They make life so much more meaningful. And I love Jon. I have the best family!

6 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I really am so happy for you guys and having a perfect space for you right now. All those little things make such a difference...the light, the backyard, the storage space...you know. :)

Matthew is left handed? Seriously? That's amazing!

What made you try an artichoke? I have never dared...agreeing with you on the appearance turnoff. :) But maybe someday soon...

soooo glad you love your new ward. never changes from 9? I would say that's Zion right there! :)

Kalena and Justin said...

Its the little things that make life great and it sounds like it couldnt get much greater there.

Im with you on the carpets. We are in the first place that isnt all carpet and I am missing it. Our whole downstairs is tile and I can say I 100% hate it. So you are not alone in that feeling.

Larsen's said...

Yep, I am a carpet lover, too. We have hardwood in our living room, hallway and kitchen. (OK, the kitchen I don't mind so much!) It just seems so cold all the time with the hardwood floors! I am so glad the rest of our house has carpet. Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

The house sounds great! I don't mind hardwood floors in some rooms, but we have it everywhere in our house. I wish at least the bedrooms had carpet...I have to say, as much as I'm grateful for our house, I'm starting a list of "musts" for our next one. I certainly don't see us staying here forever!
Oh, and we find out tomorrow! I'll most definitely post when I know.

Kathy Whittle said...

Wow, your house sounds awesome! What a blessing. Just thought I'd let you know - I'm the only left-handed one out of my parents and all my siblings! Go figure! As Matthew gets older, he can learn the phrase, "Lefties always have the right hand."

Kathy Whittle said...

Wow, your house sounds awesome! What a blessing. Just thought I'd let you know - I'm the only left-handed one out of my parents and all my siblings! Go figure! As Matthew gets older, he can learn the phrase, "Lefties always have the right hand."