Sunday, February 14, 2010

The House

For all of you who have been requesting pictures of our house...here they are. Just keep in mind that it is still very much a work in progress...but at the rate we're going it'll be several months before I get pictures of the finished product up. So, here ya go...oh and some of the pictures have really weird lighting...sorry about that.

The kitchen...yes, it's really ugly. But, it's got tons of cupboard space (I still have an entire cupboard that is empty and I have no idea what to do with it). The dishwasher was broken when we moved in, so our landlord installed a brand spanking new one on Saturday. We just keep hoping that nice yellow oven breaks soon too...

The dining room. This was one of the rooms we painted. We are going to hang a valance above the window and the Valentines decorations will be coming down. We want to hang some pictures (of what???) and I'd like to find something...a buffet or something...to fill up the rest of this large space.

From the kitchen going down to the laundry area

and from the laundry area to the garage.

The living room. Definitely needs pictures and we're throwing around the idea of doing an accent wall on that wall with the fireplace. That or maybe putting a runner on the mantel. Just something to break up all the white over there.

The bathroom. Still needs an over the toilet shelf thing.The kids room. This room is actually the exact same layout and size as their room in our last house. Crazy! So, we set up their room exactly the same, but now there are no toys in here. I LOVE IT! We did put a bookshelf at the end of Emma's bed for some books and a couple small toys, just to fill some of the empty space. I kind of want to hang curtains or something from under Emma's bed to make it a fort and make the room feel not so empty. We also need to hang pictures. We have a fun idea for this that I will post when we actually do it. Also, this was the other room that we painted. You can see the before picture below.

Before...I think ours is a definite improvement.

Our room. We're going to hang curtains and hang pictures. Beyond that I just don't know what to do in here...though I would also REALLY like to get a headboard and we are on the hunt for nightstands.

The office/sewing room/junk room. This is our least favorite room right now, the place we have been throwing all that stuff we don't know what to do with. It's kind of an awkward room. It has a door from the hall and then a door into the playroom. There is only one outlet in the room and there are no phone jacks (to hook up the internet). So, between all that and the two closets on that wall, there's not much functional wall space to work with. This may just stay like this until we eventually need it as another bedroom...and no, that is not an announcement.

The playroom. This is one of my favorite rooms in the house. It's large and comfortable and I am really loving how it's turning out. This is looking out to the backyard.

Looking from the backyard to the door leading to the laundry area. See the doors on the right...those go to the office. And right before the glass pane door there is a big hole in the wall. This room was an add on and that hole in the wall used to be a window to the backyard. So, when they made the addition they left the window frame. It's kind of a weird little thing, but it's growing on us. All that we have left to do in here is hang pictures. Jon has several movie posters from work, so we thought it would be fun to hang those around the room.

There are two of these windows in the playroom. I love them, but I don't know what to do with them. They are just high enough off the ground that they really don't work as seating, but I want to do something with them. They are just too white. And it seems like it could be such a functional space, it bugs me not to do anything with it. Ideas???

The half bath in the playroom. It is what it is...I'm not doing anything with it. But we sure do love having it!
The backyard! We have LOVED having this. When you first go out, there is a covered patio...sorry about the night pictures!

Then to the left there is the lawn, storage shed, fruit trees!, and lots of garden space along the house and the fence! We can't wait to get stuff planted.
And that's our house. Please feel free to send along decorating tips and/or ideas!

13 comments:

Nicia said...

How fabulous! Congratulations!

Rachel Holloway said...

THAT'S SUCH A GREAT SPACE!! I love it! SUCH potential!!!

I will be mulling over things to see if I have any ideas hit...at least now I can know what you're talking about! :)

So happy for you guys!

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

I am so happy for you! I know what it's like to have kiddos and no yard. I know the excitement that you feel over that!

Unknown said...

What a grat house! I love the yard too. That's so fun that you have fruit trees! I like your idea to paint an accent wall in the family room to break up the white. Also, the cute bay windows in the play room could possibly hold herb gardens? I think house plants are always a nice addition. I'll be looking forward to seeing more "after" pictures as you make progress!

MAF said...

Congratulations on the house guys. If you want more decoration tips than you know what to do with, go to houzz.com. Nicki has spent hours there.

Annette said...

This is a wonderful house! Does the fireplace work? What kind of fruit trees do you have? I look forward to visiting sometime and seeing in real life!

Jess'n'John said...

Nice house! :-) You've done so much already to make it look like a home. Very cute. Congrats on such a nice big house and backyard. :-)

Melinda said...

I love it! I love seeing houses shown off, and ideas of what's going to change and all that. Good luck getting everything to work, especially the 'office' space. (We had a tough time with that one, too!)

Larsen's said...

What a nice home you have, Sarah! Thanks for letting us have a looksie!

Mike Hiatt said...

WOW! What a beautiful place you have! I am so excited for the four of your. It's great to be in a place where you have enough room to breathe a little. Congrats. I love you all.

Unknown said...

That is so random that you have a connection to Lara too. I knew her when I was growing up in Virginia. She was in my ward and her husband was my Junior year Seminary teacher. Then her brother married my cousin Karey. Small world!

Caitlin said...

I love the house Sarah! It sounds like you guys got a great deal and so many awesome perks! Congratulations! :) oh, and your kids are adorable! i love reading your blog! and another thing, i saw Camille at Macey's the other day!! It was super random, but so good to see her! She says hi! :) She's just living in Provo and doing medical assisting right now cuz she can't find a job in her degree. Anyway, we really need to talk one of these days! It's been too long! :) love you!

Kathy Whittle said...

What an awesome house!! Having a lot of room is really a great thing. And a yard too! I remember living in the apartment in Texas, we had to sit down on the toilet in order to close the bathroom door. I was SO grateful when we moved to that duplex with a garage, a yard, and a bigger bathroom. You are going to love your new house!!