Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Updates and Some Pictures

So we're two nights into sleep training Matthew and it's actually going pretty well. The first night he woke up once and I fed him, but then I put him back to bed awake and he only fussed for a couple minutes. He woke up later in the night but went right back to sleep on his own. Hooray! Last night went great too. I put him to bed and he complained for about 5 minutes and then he was out. Emma woke him up around midnight (screaming that she needed something) but he went right back to sleep. I fed him around 4 this morning and he didn't cry at all when I put him back to bed. This is a huge improvement. He usually wakes up 5-6 times a night and is up between half an hour and an hour. So, nights are going well. It's just the naps that we can't get figured out. He won't go to sleep unless we're holding him and it usually takes 30-45 minutes of walking around before he's out. Now, I do the bedtime routine and put him down, but he pulls himself up and stands crying for as long as I let him. Yesterday I just gave in and picked him up. He went right to sleep when I did. I'm at a loss. I guess I can't expect him to change everything at once. I am totally happy with the progress he's made though.

We got a new camera (since Emma broke our last point and shoot). I like our SLR, but never took it anywhere because it is so big. I love having my little point and shoot...I'm sure you all think I'm crazy for not liking the SLR, but I really just like my small, practical camera. It does so many cool things and takes great pictures. So, I'm happy.

Emma is making slow and steady progress with potty training. It's like pulling teeth to get her to sit on the toilet, but when she does she goes to the bathroom every time. I think I just need to be more consistent and diligent about having her go.

My mom is coming tomorrow! She's coming to visit for a week and we are so excited. We've got lots of sewing planned and I'm excited to see all the things we're able to make.

Matthew is starting to walk. He took 5 steps on his own today and several times before he has taken 2 or 3 steps at a time. He is a little speed crawler, pulls himself up to everything, and climbs up things like a little monkey. He just got his 3rd tooth and is working on the 4th. He is such a crazy, happy little guy. He had his 9 month checkup today and the doctor said he looks great. He weighs 16 lb 9 oz and is 26 1/2 inches short. :)

Our big boy

I found this umbrella (parasol...whatever) at Goodwill for .99 and Emma LOVES it. Best .99 ever spent.

On Saturday we went to the toy store to play. They have these train tables and Little Tikes play structures set up that the kids can play with. We also love wandering around and looking at all the cool things they have.

We walked to the library a few weeks ago and the sun was in the kids' eyes on the way home. Emma pulled the sunshade down and they both fell fast asleep.
These next few pictures show some of the things my new camera can do.
Before:

After:
You can do a color swap. Cool, huh?

You can also pick one color (red in this picture) and that is the only color that will develop when the picture is taken.

7 comments:

Larsen's said...

You are so good at keeping things updated, Sara. I really like your new camera...that is so cool!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a fun camera - I can't do that stuff with mine! I'm so glad that Matthew has started sleeping better for you, it feels so wonderful to realize that you're actually getting more sleep. :-)

That picture with the stroller and sunshades cracks me up. Too cute!

Nicki said...

Cute pictures! Matthew looks so cute walking. I'm glad he's sleeping better.

Hey, what kind of dslr do you guys have? And what kind of point-and-shoot did you get? Matt and I are looking at getting a new camera... our point-and-shoot is being repaired right now (free under warranty - woohoo!), but we think we want to get a nicer camera. We've been looking at dslr's, but there are a lot of choices and different features. Any ideas?

Melinda said...

Wow! I want that color feature thing on mine!

I can't believe Matthew's walking already...9 mo?!?

Evie wants her own umbrella too...maybe I'll have to hit up goodwill, too.

Michelle said...

I can't believe how big Matthew is already! Oren walked early too, it always cracked me up to see this tiny little guy walking around. Very sensible of Emma, pull the shade down and take a nap. Sounds like a plan!

Rachel Holloway said...

YEAH for sleep! I think I need you to come help me with that.

And how cool about your camera. I am glad you got something nice that will work for you. :)

Nathan said...

The umbrella is adorable. How fun. What kind of camera do you have. That is so awesome.