Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sleep

That's what I want Matthew to do...that's what I want to do. Why is it so hard???

We've been trying to decide what to do about Matthew not sleeping. Letting babies cry it out has always seemed so heartless to me, but nothing else was working.

A friend loaned me the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" yesterday and I've skimmed through parts of it. It has some great information and suggestions and I really agreed with and related to a lot of what was said. So, we decided to follow the plan in this book and let Matthew cry himself to sleep (or learn to self soothe). I like thinking of it the latter way.

So, I was all geared up and ready to try it out tonight. I bathed Matthew, got him ready for bed, fed him, read stories, and then turned the light off to sing songs. He started screaming right away. I finished singing, kissed him and put him in bed. The screaming lasted 45 minutes...not bad. I really expected it to be worse.

Jon and I sat listening to the quiet for a few more minutes and then decided to peek in on him. He looked so sweet and innocent and I felt so proud that he had actually fallen asleep. I love watching my babies sleep.

We watched him for a minute and then left the room. However, a well intentioned attempt to remove some toys that were in his crib woke him up. And he spent another hour and 45 minutes screaming. And screaming and screaming. It is now 9:30 and I think he's finally gone to sleep. (Fingers crossed)

It was interesting to me to see how Jon and I each handled this. I feel like I had prepared myself mentally, emotionally, etc for the screaming so it really didn't bother me much. Jon, on the other hand, was the one having a hard time with it, wanting to check on him and hold him. A major role reversal.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this or if any of it makes sense. I guess I was just trying to keep busy while I waited for the screaming to end.

So, I'm just curious...do you all let the little ones cry it out? What things have worked for you?

11 comments:

K said...

Cute little Matthew sounds a lot like Andrew at that age! Sleeping issues are the worst! I really hope things start getting better and that Matthew starts falling asleep better-without all the crying! Good luck!

Kalena and Justin said...

Im with you its so hard to let your child just cry. I swear it can rip your heart out. But I have with both of my girls let them cry it out. But we make sure that we watch the clock and dont let it go to long. Dont worry your a good mommy and he will be stronger for it as he gets older. Keep up the good work.

Melinda said...

When I'm alone, I will typically try to comfort or cuddle Lizzie...if Aaron's home, he insists that she cry it out, so I suffer through it.

Stephanie said...

Jeff and I have let the kids cry it out. Sometimes it really is very difficult! In our experience, once we get serious about it, it usually only takes a few days for the baby to learn to go to sleep with a minimal amount of crying. But those few days - aaaargh!!! Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope you're able to get sleep really soon.

Nicia said...

Oh my goodness Sarah, you sooo need to call me! We had this issue with Alyssa...after not getting a full nights sleep for 10 months I had it. We got this book, "Sleeping Through the Night" by Jodi A. Mindell, and it was AMAZING! They have a few different ways to try out if one way doesn't fit your parenting style. We ended up going with a similar approach you took. Only for us, you do the routine, put the baby to bed, and then after a certain amount of time you check on them. Checking on them consisted of going into the room and patting the back, or giving a hug, but NOT picking them up. So like, night one: first wait 5 min. second wait: 5 miin. third wait: 10 fouth wait: 10. Then the second night: first wait 5 min. second wait: 10 min. third wait: 10 fourth wait: 15. See the pattern going on. You just keep upping the wait time by 5 min.'s. Seriously, I loved that idea, because it showed Alyssa that we were still there, but that SHE needed to fall asleep on her own. They also said that it will take 3 HARD nights. Night one will be pretty good. Night 2 will be the WORST, and night 3 should be a little easier than night 2, but a little harder than night one, then after that, it should be pretty easy.
Anyway, I've written a novel here. Sorry about that! Like I said, you should just call me! :) Good luck...just don't give up! The second night I cried and cried, and had to call my Mom to help me calm down! I was a little baby! So be strong, and know that it's going to be worth it.

Rachel Holloway said...

My question is this...

What about when they go to bed great, but wake up all night? And what do you do when there are siblings? How does Emma handle the crying? Does she wake up?

I am SOOO with you in the lack of sleep department.

Bethany said...

From a friend's recommendation we checked out the book "Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Lady's Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy." It had some really good points, but we modified it to our baby's needs. We "let him cry it out" with the condition that if he's screaming to the point that he can't remember why he's screaming, then we go in and help him out, but if we go in and pick him up and he stops screaming, then we know we made a mistake. But usually (since we let him cry it out) he just goes to sleep. If there's any crying (not screaming), it only lasts for a couple of minutes. He sleeps great from 7:30 pm until 6:30 am. We can't complain. :) Good luck!

Nicki said...

The first time I let Owen just cry, I couldn't handle it and went and picked him up after 20 minutes. He usually goes to sleep ok - it's the waking up in the middle of the night that we haven't been able to fix. He's still in our room, too, which means that every time he wakes up, one of us gets up and helps him get back to sleep. It's probably time to move him into his big crib, but I have a hard time thinking of him sleeping all alone in his big crib. What can I say, I'm kind of a baby when it comes to my baby. :) Good luck with Matthew.

Unknown said...

Sleep training is a hot topic among mothers, huh? I HATED letting Benjamin cry, but in the end, that's the only thing that worked.
Now that Peter's four months, I'm gearing myself up for some hard nights. You're right- you do have to think of it as helping them learn to self soothe, otherwise you feel horrible for letting them cry. Good luck!

Kathy Whittle said...

This is one of those "bummer" parts of parenting a little one. I'm afraid I don't have great advice in this area. I used the "let them cry it out" method with my first two kids, checking on them every 10 minutes or so. I hated it and always felt bad about it. With Jordan, he threw up after about 2 minutes of screaming, every time, so I axed that method, and he ended up sleeping with me. Emily found her thumb at 7 weeks and has gone to bed beautifully ever since........but we have the thumb problem! Well, good luck with everything - if you're strong and can last through those first few nights, it should get a lot better.

Holly R said...

Sarah, well to tell the truth I have found it best to do the cry it out method earlier. It just gets worse as they get older. We did it when Leighton was 4.5 months. It was hard for a few days. We first tried to check on him, but it always made it worse, so we just stopped. He sleeps wonderfully now. We were softer with Savannah and didn't let her cry it out. We have tried to make sure that we lay her down awake as much as possible, even for naps, etc. This helps. Still I feel your pain. I knew we should have let Savannah cry it out but didn't. She sleeps pretty well, but it could be better. Good luck.