Friday, May 16, 2008

Baby Matthew

Well, we've made it home and things are relatively calm. So, here is the rest of the scoop...
For anyone interested I'll give the detailed labor story. For anyone who's not interested, you can skip down to the pictures.
I went to the hospital Wednesday morning to get some gel that is supposed to get labor started. Everything went well with that and they sent us home to see if it worked. I started having contractions at about 1:30 in the afternoon. I was trying to wait it out to make sure it was the real deal because I did NOT want to go and be sent home. We finally went to the hospital at 2:30. I was dilated to a 4 and in active labor so they told me they didn't think I would be able to get an epidural but that they would try. The anesthesiologist came but couldn't get the epidural in right. She tried twice and finally got another anesthesiologist to try. The third time was the charm so I was VERY grateful for that. Anyway, Jon's parents were going to take Emma for us but live an hour away, so Emma was in the room for most of my labor. I was very impressed with how good she was. She sat with Jon and read books and played for a long time. Hopefully she wasn't too traumatized by the whole thing. :)
Everything after the epidural is kind of a blur. Right after they gave it to me, baby's heart rate dropped and they couldn't get it back up. They took me to the operating room and started getting ready to do an emergency c-section. The doctor checked the baby one more time before they went ahead with it and said that as soon as she touched his head everything went back to normal. She thinks he was doing something with the umbilical cord and it got twisted weird or something. So, thankfully we didn't have to do a c-section. After that excitement, they had me push and Matthew Steven Farrell was born a few minutes later. All in all it was a quick 5 hour labor.
Matthew is such a good baby. He has the cutest little whimper of a cry and really doesn't make a whole lot of noise. He looks so much like Emma did when she was born but their personalities are SO different. Emma is a good big sister and loves the baby. She is so cute with him. We are so grateful for our little baby and love him so much.

I just thought this was a cute picture of Emma at the hospital.


One of the few pictures we have of Matthew with his eyes open. He loves his sleep.



Daddy and Emma looking at his toes.


A little sibling bonding time. She still thinks his binky is hers. :)


She thought his nose was so cute.


Meeting Grandma Farrell and Aunt Jenny and Melinda.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

So cute!! those are some great picutres. I'd love to see a couple comparison photos, when you get a moment. I loved comparing how Evie and Lizzie looked at birth. Sorry about the epidural, thing. what a drag! Hope your recovery's short and sweet!

Stephanie said...

What an exciting birth story! I'm amazed that Emma was there in the room - I think Zaylee would have freaked out! She saw me getting some blood drawn when I was pregnant and it scared her. Anyway, I'm glad Emma behaved well for you, and that you were able to get the epidural and avoid the c-section. Matthew is adorable!

Michelle said...

Wow, sounds like quite a day! That's great you had a nice short labor, but sorry you had a little c-section scare. Your two look really sweet together. He is so adorable!

K said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that everything turned out ok during the delivery! Matthew is adorable!

Kathy Whittle said...

I love your pictures, and wow! that Emma was in the labor room. He is sure a beautiful baby. I love the sibling bonding picture.

Grandma Danes said...

Congratulations!! He is a beautiful baby and we're glad you didn't have to have the c-section. Grandpa likes to put these babies in the computer so if you could post the city and county where he was born he can do that. Love you.

McD Fam said...

Adorable baby! I can't wait to see more pictures. I want another, but looking at all the new babies helps me be a little more patient:P

Rachel Holloway said...

I know you won't believe me--and you will probably think it is silly--but I just got all teary-eyed looking at your pics! What a beautiful boy! You are such a great mom and you deserve such sweet little spirits like you have! I am so proud of you!!

Congrats on the successful birth-day! :)