Thursday, May 17, 2012

Birthday Boy

Matthew turned 4 on Monday. I'm still having a hard time letting it sink in! Here's a little bit about the birthday boy, in his own words.


Q: What is your whole name?
A:  Matthew Buddy

Q: How old are you?
A: 4

Q: What is your favorite color?
A: Orange. My favorite color is all the colors.

Q: Who is your best friend?
A: Emma and you

Q: What is your favorite animal?
A: A zebra

Q: What do you want to be when you are all grown up?
A: A artist

Q: What is your favorite movie?
A: Shaun the Sheep. My favorite movie is Shaun the Sheep. And Elmo.

Q: What are some of your favorite books?
A: Tick Tock, and um My Little Pony book. I like those.

Q: What makes you happy?
A: Sharing. That makes me happy. And when you let me watch movies, like a bunch of them.

Q: What makes you sad?
A: That you don’t let me watch tv.

Q: What is your favorite food to eat?
A: Cheese and meatballs and these things that I have (chocolate cake balls).

Q: What is your favorite song to sing?
A: Lullaby

Q: What games do you like to play?
A: Hide and go seek

Q: What is your favorite toy?
A: Um, my favorite toy is a car, all my cars.

His birthday celebrations began last Thursday when he had his special day at preschool. I found this really fun and tasty lollipop cookie recipe online and he decided that was what he wanted.

They were a hit with all the kiddos at school!

On Sunday we went to Jon's parents house for Mother's Day and to celebrate Matthew's birthday with them. We kept it really simple and just opened a few presents and ate cake pops. He loved it!

This bag with a squeaky nose was a hit, and was appropriate for the gift that was in it...


A bike horn!

He also got some new basketball shorts and a basketball shirt from Grandma and Grandpa. He is in a basketball phase right now and will only wear basketball pants or shorts.

We also decided to give him his big present that night, since it might seem a little weird to get a bike horn, but nothing to put it on.  :) 

 

 Monday afternoon we went to the park to have cake with friends. There just happen to be 3 of Matthew's friends who have birthdays within a few days of his, so we combined and had one big celebration. We were going for simple, but ended up having about 40 people there....so it was simple but crazy and fun.

Matthew requested a Candyland cake, so this is what I came up with. He loved it and all the kids at the party loved it. I was happy with how it turned out, but by the time I finished it, I never wanted to see another piece of candy again! 

 

When Jon got home from work Monday night, we had a little celebration....really little. We sang happy birthday and Matthew opened his last 3 gifts. That was it. We were so sick of sweets by that point that we didn't even eat cake or anything! It felt a little anticlimactic but Matthew didn't seem to notice.

He loved the birthday pin that came in his card from Grandma Lorraine

  And of course the kids had a blast with the balloons

  Every time he opened a gift, he would pick it up and say "what da heck? What is it?" in a high pitched voice. It was hilarious. I think he was feeling a little shy with all the attention on him.
 

 His favorite gift was a lock that Jon got him. This boy and his obsession with little trinkets! 
Happy birthday Buddy! We sure love you!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I was going to do the little interview with Jenna tomorrow too! How funny! I loved reading his answers! lol

His face seeing the bike is HILARIOUS! HAHA...

And you did a great job on the candyland cake! Impressive stuff you've got going on!

Veiltender said...

Elisheva just turned four, and she wanted a candyland cake too - how funny! I liked how mine turned out, but it did take a ton of candy. We passed out candy for favors for the guests, to get rid of most of it. Such cute lollipop cookies you made, too - so much birthday fun!

Veiltender said...

Oops, I was signed in as Avram - that was Thora