Before her first day of school, Emma kept alternating between being excited and scared. She loved preschool the last 2 years and wanted to go to school again, but she didn't like getting shots, and was upset that she was going to have to get up early and get ready in the morning. Her school had 3 kinder-playdates so the kids could get to know each other. Then the day before school started, they had an open house so the kids could meet their teacher and see their classroom. She was SO excited after the open house. Her teacher, Mrs. Rothe, is awesome and we feel so lucky to have gotten her. She let the kids pick their cubby, pick their seat, and put their supplies in their pencil box (the school provides all the supplies).
The first day of school went great. We got ready and walked to school. They let the parents come in the classroom for the first 15 minutes, but Emma could have cared less! :) She ran in ahead of me, put her backpack in her cubby and sat at her seat. She was beaming. We left pretty quickly because Emma was doing great and Matthew was wanting to play with all of the toys...and no, I didn't cry. I think taking her to preschool for the first time was harder on me than this.
When I picked Emma up from school she said her favorite part of the day was snack time, but that she didn't get to play because she took too long eating. (They have 1/2 an hour to eat their snack and play outside). She definitely takes her time eating...but I've noticed this last week she is getting quicker. This is definitely a good thing. :)
A week into school, and she still loves it. Kindergarten goes from 8:15-12:20, which I think is perfect. She has told me a couple of times though, that she doesn't want to go to school because it takes too long....good thing she doesn't have full day! Every day she fills me in on some of the things they did. I think she really likes math...that's usually what she tells me about first. She also loves coloring and reading. They make a small book or do some other big project every day. Today was pirate day. It was totally cute. She brought home her hat, eye patch, sword, and a parrot with a clothespin on it, so it can sit on her shoulder.
We're excited for this year...to see her learn and grow and develop. Hoping it's a good one!
Mrs. Rothe made these First Day Kits for each of the kids...so cute! This is what the note said:
Starburst: You will be a shining star in school if you smile and always do your best.
Starburst: You will be a shining star in school if you smile and always do your best.
Penny: To remind you that you are a valuable member of our class.
Sticker: We will always stick together and help one another. (She thinks this little play on words is hilarious!)
Eraser: Remember, it's okay to make mistakes. That is how we learn.
Hershey Hug: We all need hugs now and then. If you need one, let me know.
Lifesaver: I am here to help you. Don't be afraid to come to me if you need something.
4 comments:
very cute! I am glad she got a teacher she likes--that can make ALL the difference! :)
And I love those cute kindergarten kits, what an ADORABLE idea@!
What a sweet idea for the teacher to have done! She sure looks like she's very ready and happy to be there. Good luck through the year!!
Wow, that first-day bag is awesome! I kind of want to write down all those ideas in case I ever need them!
Emma is a cutie!
Chris's teacher did that little first day kit too... Super cute!
Post a Comment