Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

 We have really been trying to be better about family night lately. Instead of just watching a movie or coming up with something at dinner right before family night, we are really trying to put some thought into lessons. So far it has made a world of difference. Not that there's anything wrong with having a movie night, we were just falling back on stuff like that way too often!

This week we decided to talk about missions and missionaries. We sat the kids down and told them that they were going to go on a mission and that they would get a mission call telling them where they were going. Emma was SO excited. She was jumping up and down in her seat and giggling the whole time she was opening her letter. I actually got a little teary eyed imagining what it will be like when they are doing this for real...in another 16 years.

They were each called to serve in Mexico (just like their dad!). They put on their missionary clothes and went to the Missionary Training Center. There they each got their name tag and headed off to class to learn Spanish and how to teach the gospel.

 
 
They lucked out and got their dad for a teacher. He taught them all sorts of stuff and then they were ready to go. He took them to the airport, they boarded the plane (we rearranged the chairs so they were one in front of the other) and took off to Mexico, each with a Spanish dictionary in hand. Emma was taking the whole thing so seriously and really getting into it. Matthew just kept saying, "I'm in Mexico!" and "I'm a missionary!". It was so funny to watch them.
 I didn't get any pictures of the airplane or of them knocking on doors....but it was pretty hilarious.

When they got to Mexico, their mission president (again their dad....I tell ya, they're lucky kids!) met them, showed them where they would live and then took them out to knock on some doors. They came and knocked on my door and told me about the Book of Mormon and invited me to church. It was the sweetest thing to see.

Their mission ended, they flew back home, and we talked a little more about missionaries. Then we read them this page from the Friend magazine about preparing for a mission, and had them sign their names.

It was such a fun night and it was so nice to have them pay attention and get excited about it.

7 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That's a really cute idea--we will definitely have to do something similar! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jared said...

Awesome idea Sarah! We need to do something like that with our boys.

Nicia said...

I love it! That is soooo cute!

dafarrell said...

my grandkids have the best parents ever!

Nate and Annie said...

Great idea! We're not so great at the whole family night thing. This would be so much fun to do when Ella gets a little older.

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

That is too cute!!! I am so stealing this idea for my kiddos.

Unknown said...

That is such a fun idea! I'll have to use that one sometime around here too. I'm glad the chair upholstering how-to was helpful!