Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Totally Awesome Tuesday

That's how Emma described our day today. Totally awesome. Actually almost everything lately is prefaced with totally...totally cool, totally awesome, totally bediculous (ridiculous), etc.

We started our totally awesome day by going to the totally fun park for park day. Always a good time!

After some lunch, I was really itching to get out of the house and enjoy the nice day. The kids LOVE riding the train, so I decided to take the totally cool train to Burlingame and visit our old stomping grounds. Emma thought we were going to the bowling game (Burlingame-bowling game...I can see how she got confused), so she was a little disappointed when we got there and we were definitely not at the bowling place. Haha!

As we were leaving the house, Emma asked if she could bring her book so she could read a little. I love that she loves reading. She picked her totally cool amphibian and reptile encyclopedia...just what every little girl would pick...and we were off. We walked the two blocks to the train station and got there just in time. I love it when it works out that way.

Matthew's only ridden the train once or twice, and it was a LONG time ago, so he was a little unsure of it at first. Emma on the other hand, is a pro-train rider. She chose her seat and settled in with her book. It was fun to chat with her about frogs and turtles and all the totally awesome things they can do...and to occasionally look out and watch the scenery fly by. Every time the train stopped at a station, she would ask if it was our stop. Every time I said no, and told her how many more we had and every time she gasped and said, "Oh mom, your totally kidding me!"



Once we got to Burlingame, our first stop was Powell's candy store. I had a coupon for a free birthday gelato (yep, I'm really milking this birthday thing for all it's worth!) and the kids got to pick out a few of their favorite treats. This store has so many fun treats that you just don't find anywhere else....gummy fried eggs and letters, gummy whales and bugs, lego candy, chocolate rocks, grapefruit candy....mmm....so many totally yummy treats! We picked a few and then sat outside at their candyland tables to eat and build towers with lego candy.

This was probably my favorite part of the day. We were all happy...content really just sitting there, enjoying everything. We weren't rushing, nobody was fighting or complaining. It was nice....one of those moments you want to freeze forever.


When the candy was gone, we took a little walk to go see our old house. Gosh, it feels like forever since we lived there, but somehow it was only 7 months ago. And while I don't miss that house AT ALL, I got a little emotional as I passed it, just thinking of all the memories there. That was our first post-school home....where we started life in the real world. That is where we lived when Matthew was born. There were just so many memories from the 2 years we lived there that came flooding back as I looked at it. It was kind of a bittersweet moment.

We continued our walk and headed to the totally fun park 2 blocks from that house. During our 2 years in Burlingame we spent hundreds of hours at that park, because it was so close and we didn't have any real yard space. While the kids played I watched them and relived lots of other memories there.

Next, we stopped by the library. I love the Burlingame library. The building is gorgeous. The selection is great! (Much better than our current library). And they just have the coolest kid's section. We hung out there for a while, found some books and movies and moved on.

Our last stop on our walk down memory lane was the kids consignment store. I love that place and miss living so close. I'm like a kid in a candy store there. I just love all the great deals! We had also gotten to know the owner pretty well, so it was fun to see her again.

Finally, it was time to leave....our train was coming so we said goodbye to Burlingame and headed home. This time we sat upstairs on the train and it was so totally awesome. Made Emma's day.

We finished off our totally perfect day by eating Toy Story macaroni and cheese for dinner and watching Ponyo, which, according to Emma, is totally her favorite movie ever.

Thank you Emma and Matthew for a totally awesome Tuesday!

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

lol!!1 That's TOTALLY funny! :) Emma cracks me up--I can just picture her little voice saying all those things! :) Glad you had a great day! :)

Larsen's said...

That sounds like my kind of day...of course, any day involving gelato is my kind of day, LOL!