Our house has a nice, big basement. It is not finished and is kind of dirty so we just use it for storage. Melinda(Jon's sister) loves playing down there, so she and Emma have spent a lot of time down there this week while she has been staying with us.
Monday, after the girls had been down there for awhile, Emma came running upstairs telling me that she saw the nice monster downstairs. She went on and on about this monster and wanted me to come see it. Curious, I followed them down. Melinda had me stand in this spot and look at a wall on the other side of the room. There is a space in the wall covered by a grate. She told Emma it was a monster cage and if you stand in a certain spot, you can see it's eyes. Thankfully she made sure Emma knew it was a nice monster and that all monsters are nice.
This monster is all Emma thinks about now. She tells everybody she sees about the nice monster, she talks about it nonstop and has to go down and see it about 5000 times every day, it's the first thing she mentions in the morning and one of the last things she mentions at night. I have to admit it's kind of funny. I love kids' imaginations and their enthusiasm over seemingly small things. Emma's creativity and imagination have taken off since Melinda has been here this week. I'm sad that she's leaving (as I know Emma is) because I don't feel like I can bring those things out in Emma the way other kids can. This experience has inspired me to be more fun, more creative, and to try and see the world through my childrens' eyes.
Time to go visit the monster again...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is really funny. It must me a little difficult to trek up and down the stairs all day with her but I am sure she just loves it. I guess watching Mosters Inc. helps with the nice monster thing.
Post a Comment